Sunday, September 23, 2007

INTERVIEW ARTICLES

I read three interview articles named "Acing a Dicey Interview Question: Why did you leave your last job?", "Abiltiy to Pull an All-Nighter can be as Useful as a B.A." and Four Tips for Acing an Interview by Phone." I found it extremely interesting that interviewers are also interested in the "soft skills" a student learns while in college. I found it interesting that the ability to listen to music, watch tv, instant message and do homework all at the same time shows good time management skills. Another "soft skill" is the ablilty to communicate through new technolgies; a skill learned by using myspace and facebook. The ability to do group projects can be considered team collaboration, which is another sought after skill. I will have to keep these "soft skills" in mind while interviewing and not just technical ones.

In the future I most likely and am almost certain that I will have to have a phone interview. This article recommend four tips for a phone interview. The four tips were:
1. Minimize distraction
2. Sharpen your verbal skills
3. Prepare in Advance
4. Follow up
They also recommended to not use a cell phone, to reschedule the phone interview if there are surrounding distractions and to keep a resume and cheat sheet on hand.

I did not disagree with any of the information I read. I found it very helpful and will probably use this site again to get future advice on interviewing.

No comments: