Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dual Coding Theory

Dual Coding is a method used in which words are used with visuals. Linking words and visuals together will more likely cause the brain to move a concept from temporary memory to long term memory. Dual coding is used by advertisers as a marketing tool so that customers will be more likely to remember their product by linking it with something else. An example, of dual coding is a Verizon commercial. A Verizon commercial is talking about how their company has the largest network, and how everyone in Verizon is networked together because calls within the network are free. In all their commercials, however, there is always this massive group of people (representing the network) following the Verizon user around. This is dual coding because it shows you a massive group of people (representing their huge but close network) while talking about it at the same time in the commercial. I think dual coding is very effective and persuasive. I know this because as I sat down to do this blog, I had not watched any TV for the purpose of looking for dual coding. I simply sat down and started to think about commercial when the Verizon commercial and "network" idea just came to my mind. Therefore, the idea of the "network" and the massive group of people that Verizon offers to link you with has moved from short term memory to long term. Isn't it ironic because I do not even belong to the Verizon network but instead its' competitor, Alltel. I have thought many times about switching to Verizon, and when I think about it, in my head, I see the large group of people (possibly in there hard hats) following around the Verizon user. This is why I am confident Verizon's dual coding marketing scheme is effective.

No comments: